Euskotren to maintain the 50% discount on its services in 2023
• All users of its train, tram and funicular services who are holders of contactless Barik, Bat or Mugi cards will continue to benefit from the drop in fares as the discount will be automatically applied though the usual payment systems
Euskotren, a publicly-owned company of the Basque Government’s Ministry of Territorial Planning, Housing and Transport, will continue to apply the 50% discount on its train, tram and funicular services from Sunday 1 January.
The Basque Government, in coordination with the other competent institutions in terms of transport, remains committed to one of its key goals aimed at easing the economic situation of families given the current high prices. Thus, the general public will benefit from a 50% reduction on the price of their journeys, while at the same time encouraging and driving the use of public transport instead of private vehicles, and also reducing CO2 emissions.
The discount on the fares came into force on 1 September 2022 for the following means of transport operated by Euskotren:
• The five railway lines (E1, E2. E3, E4, E5)
• Line 3 of the subway in Bilbao
• The Bilbao and Vitoria-Gasteiz tramways
• The Larreineta funicular railway
The discount is automatically applied to the Barik, Bat and Mugi contactless travel cards. The 50% discount will also be applied to monthly season ticket for the Larreineta funicular railway and the 10 ticket for the Kukullaga lift, even if they are bought without a travel card.
The discount does not apply to single or return tickets bought on paper. The season tickets taken out with transport companies from outside the BAC (Passbask, Euskopass, Txik-txak, Transbus, Bortziri…) are not covered by the scheme.